You know what I’ve come to realize? Relationships affect every part of you. They make you who you are. I never knew that before. Everything is a constant reminder, even yourself. My eyes, my hair, my toes, my laugh, my voice; name it and there’ll be a meaning or a memory linked to it. I made my relationship my whole world. I stopped looking, stopped searching for things that I wanted, and only sought what would contribute to the ‘we’ I was in. I thought of everything I had as something that could be made to care for ‘us’. I spent my time living my life until I could see him again. And it was such a mistake. For starters, because I committed myself so fully to someone who I knew was never going to commit that way to me. I felt if I could convince him, it would be worth it; a fight well worth fighting. But it never is. If there is ANY fight to convince someone to love you, walk away. As hard and hellish as it is to cut it off when you’re just beginning to fight, think about how much it sucks when the severing point is infinitely closer to your heart.
The way my relationship ended was embarrassing. Each time it ended, I was the ‘loser’. First: I wasn’t ‘sparky’ enough. Then: it just wasn’t right, though everything was there (not the first time I’ve heard that one…). And finally, I ended it. I held the knife, marked the severing point, made the decision myself without thinking about the ‘we’. And still, somehow, I felt like I’d lost. And I think I finally figured out why. I fought so hard to hold onto someone who had no desire to hold me in return, and I knew it the whole time. I’d lied to myself from day one. Initially I hadn’t wanted the relationship. After the first date, I had decided that I didn’t want to go out with him again; not interested (something said ‘boy’ has no idea about!). But everyone thought I was too quick to judge, and that I needed to give him another chance. So I did. I let the whole world convince me that I should be with him. But in the beginning I knew better. It wasn’t until I saw the soul beneath the pretty blue eyes and shy demeanor that I decided for myself I wanted to stay. But by then, the tables had turned and I was the one who was hooked. I made mistake after mistake trying to find his flaws and ended up showing my own. I don’t regret every moment. But I do regret the first, after I said yes to the blind date and let my heart run away to someone who didn’t want it in the first place.
Ok, deeeeeeeeeeep breath…. ah… :) Better. The point is, it’s all true but there’s so much more to it than all that. I made mistakes, he made mistakes, and we made mistakes together. We’ve both been altered. The REAL defining moment is how you move on from here. Until today, I’d been too embarrassed to show remorse for a relationship that I had ended and that had ended on SUCH a bad note. But I am sad. I do regret losing him. He was my best friend, and has changed me more than any other person I know. And even though I screwed up A LOT, it’s ok. It’s not the end of the world, there’s more to life than the life we had, and we’re both going to get over it. I’ve been to mortified by what happened and by my own actions to admit that until just now.
So. In summation: don’t be an idiot when you fall for someone; make damn sure they’re as far in it as you are. And….? Never be afraid to fall in love, because no matter how much your heart breaks, you’ll always find something or someone else that makes you even happier. <3
P.S. Pearls of Knowledge Gained This Week:
1: Never ( and I mean NEVER ) leave a child who’s potty-training alone in the bathroom for longer than is absolutely necessary. Apparently the ‘innate’ aversion to touching/smearing poop isn’t so innate, and has to be taught. (Thank you Kaylee, for that one :S)
2: If you initially think someone might be a jerk/bitch, they probably are.
3: Never talk bad about co-workers because it will inevitably come back and bite you in the ass (thankfully NOT personal experience.)
4: Never scoff at someone else’s beliefs. If you are hateful towards something or someone, it’s most likely because it scares the hell out of you, and your mind is too closed to see the value in it.
5: If it’s unnecessary, don’t do it. Only do what makes you happy and what will benefit your life, even if it’s a tough choice to make.
And…
6: Sleep with the windows open as often as you can. Hearing the sounds of life around you is a lot more peaceful than any electronic music contraption Bose will ever come up with. <3
There will always be someone willing to catch you if you're willing to fall. They just have to be manly enough to know how to catch you and not break you. :) Love you Tiff.
ReplyDelete